Let Our Boston Sports Chiropractor Help Relieve Your Back Pain
If you have back pain, it's important to let your primary care doctor know about it. At Chiropractic & Sports Services of Boston, we also recommend consulting with a chiropractor as well. At our clinic, Dr. Kristie McLean has proudly been your sports chiropractor in Boston for over 13 years. Her approach to back pain treatment includes natural, non-invasive, and patient-centered care that focuses on both manual techniques, including chiropractic adjustment and active techniques, including exercise.
5 Exercises That May Help Relieve Your Back Pain
Please note: this information is not intended to replace professional help from a chiropractor! You should consult with our Boston chiropractor, Dr. Kristie McLean, before beginning a lower back exercise program to ensure you're performing all movements correctly--and that the exercises are safely meeting your needs. After all, there are many different causes of back pain--including stenosis, disc bulge, sciatica, and muscle strain--all of which may require different treatment.
That said, there are several general exercises that Dr. McLean commonly prescribes to her patients to facilitate pain relief and healing. Emphasis is placed on gentle movement, core activation, low load, and high volume in order to promote optimal healing, blood flow, muscle activation, and lymphatic drainage. Here are 5 exercises you can try:
- Cat/Cow - Begin on all fours. Slowly drop your belly toward the floor and lift your chin up toward the ceiling. Hold for one count, then slowly round your back up toward the ceiling and lower your chin down to your chest. Repeat 20-30 times.
- Bird Dogs - Begin on all fours with your neck in a neutral position and your chin slightly touched. Tighten your abs, and then slowly extend your left arm forward and right leg back until both are parallel to shoulder/hip height. Hold for one count, then lower. Repeat on the other side. Repeat 20-30 times.
- Glute sets - Begin on your back with your legs straight. Squeeze your buttocks muscles tightly and hold for 2 counts, then relax. Repeat 20-30 times.
- Pelvic Tilts - Begin on your back. Bend your knees up and place your feet flat on the bed or mat. Slowly press the small of your back against the bed or mat until it touches. Hold for a count, then relax. Repeat 20-30 times.
- Deep Belly Breathing - Begin on your back. You can keep your legs straight or bent. Place one hand on your belly and one hand on your chest. Slowly take a deep breath in through your nose for a count of 2. You should feel/see your hands rise. Hold your breath for a count of 4, then slowly breathe out through your mouth for a count of 6. Repeat 20-30 times.
Exercises that relieve lower back pain are the most effective when prescribed alongside other natural chiropractic care techniques, including a chiropractic adjustment that can help realign your spine and "reset" your pain-signaling nervous system.
Contact Our Local Boston Chiropractic Office to Help Manage Your Back Pain Today!
If you struggle with back pain and are wondering if a chiropractor near Boston can help you, then contact the office of Dr. Kristie McLean today at 617-268-0333. We offer a variety of chiropractic services that can get you moving, feeling, and living better soon the natural way!